Wednesday 8 August 2012

Log Cabin Quilt

So my housemate and I were very impressed with a friend's quilting, and we thought it would be a great idea to make our own as we thought we'd have a quiet summer. We pinned a lot of quilting ideas onto pinterest, and then made a start. Inspiration is a great thing, but actually making the thing takes a lot longer than googling it!

I chose a log cabin pattern, pretty much on impulse. I suppose it is mainly because they are so pretty, but they also look quite traditional, well it is a traditional pattern to use. I even found some brilliant instructions to follow here.

For my own work, I decided to hand sew the whole thing, this is partly because I don't have a sewing machine, but that wasn't the only reason (honest!) I have always enjoyed sewing, even if I haven't always been the best at it, and perhaps things do fall apart moments after I have sewn them together sometimes, but I'm always trying to learn.

It's something that women in the past have always been able to do. It is such a simple and essential skill, attaching fabric together using needle and thread is just so basic and fundamental, and yet when artistry is involved it becomes a fine craft. I am amazed sometimes when I see historical garments to think that they have all been hand sewn, and I have such respect for the women of the past who would have done this work to clothe their families - and it seems so strange that as we rely more and more on manufacturing, we lose the intricacy and artistry of clothing that there used to be.

In any case, I have pieced this quilt together by hand to practice for when I take on a more intricate project. It's not finished yet, the next step will be to add a border around the edge and then I think things will get even more complicated, so I'm looking at loads more tutorials in the interim.

My log cabin quilt pieced together.
Also I'm loving buying all of the tools and equipment I need to do my sewing projects. For example see my lovely new scissors below!
Embroidery scissors (from John Lewis incidentally also  available at the V&A)
God bless,

Naomi
x

No comments:

Post a Comment